How To Recognize Spam Sales Calls and Text MessagesDecember 6, 2022
How long does a mobile phone last? 4 tips to maximize its lifespan and prevent e-waste!February 9, 2023
Mobile phones have become an essential part of our daily lives. We rely on them for communication, entertainment, and even as our personal assistants. However, have you ever stopped to consider the potential impact of mobile phone use on your health?
Are mobile phones dangerous? The short answer is no. Let’s take a deeper look into some of the most famous myths about using mobile phones: the radiation and sleeping with it under the pillow, but not only. We’ll also share some tips on how to use your mobile phone healthily.
Myths about phone using
1. Is phone radiation harmful?
Mobile phones emit a type of non-ionizing radiation called radiofrequency (RF) radiation. This type of radiation is at a lower frequency than ionizing radiation, which is not powerful enough to remove electrons from atoms or molecules.
One myth about phone radiation is that it can cause cancer. The World Health Organization (WHO) states that mobile phone radiation does not cause cancer. However, ongoing research is still on the potential health effects of long-term mobile phone use.
However, taking precautions is still important to minimize your radiation exposure: note that the amount of radiation emitted by a mobile phone decreases as the distance between the phone and the body increases.
2. Sleeping with phone under pillow is not dangerous at all
Another myth is that sleeping with your phone under your pillow is dangerous. While it is not necessarily dangerous, it is not recommended. The radiation emitted by mobile phones is non-ionizing, which means it does not have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms or molecules.
Excessive use of mobile phones can have a negative impact on our mental health. Here are some of the risks associated with excessive mobile phone use:
- Social Isolation. Spending too much time on your phone can lead to social isolation, as you may be more likely to spend time on your phone instead of interacting with others in person. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and depression.
- Anxiety and Stress. Constantly checking your phone for notifications can lead to feelings of anxiety and stress. The constant need to stay connected can also lead to feelings of FOMO (fear of missing out).
- Lack of Concentration. Excessive phone use can also affect your ability to concentrate. Constantly switching between apps and notifications can make it difficult to focus on a task for a prolonged period of time.
- Sleep Disturbances. Using your phone before bed can disrupt your sleep patterns, leading to insomnia.
How to use mobile phones more healthily?
An important tip on how to use mobile phones more healthily is to limit your overall mobile phone usage.
1. Take regular breaks. Set a reminder to take a break from your phone every hour or so. Use this time to stretch your legs, look away from your screen, and give your eyes and brain a rest.
2. Use the phone’s brightness settings. The blue light emitted by phone screens can suppress melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep. To minimize this effect, reduce the brightness of your phone’s screen or use a blue light filter.
3. Keep your phone in airplane mode at night. Turn your phone to airplane mode at night to prevent notifications from disrupting your sleep.
4. Keep your phone away from your body. Keep it at least 15mm away from your body when it is in use.
5. Be mindful of your posture. Using your phone for prolonged periods of time can lead to poor posture. Try to keep your head and neck in a neutral position and avoid hunching over your phone.
By following these tips, you can minimize the negative impact of mobile phone use on your physical and mental health and strike a balance between staying connected and taking care of yourself.
Check us out if you’re looking for a simple, practical, affordable mobile phone. eSTAR mobile phones are diapositive with all the basic features and none of the distractions, perfect for seniors. If you want to have our phones on the shelves of your business, talk to us. We are always open to new partners and distributors.